So you want to garden? Before you run out and buy a hundred different tools, consider this:
I use these all the time and couldn’t garden without them:
- A metal rake (sometimes called a bow rake) – not the kind you rake leaves with
- A digging fork (kind of like a pitch fork put with heavy, flat tines – not long skinny round ones)
- A skinny hand trowel, no more than 2-3″ wide and about 6″ long
On occasion, I find a use for:
- A widger, for indoor gardening and transplanting
- A long-handled shovel, though I often ditch it in favor of the digging fork
- A colinear hoe, which has a sharp blade that skims under the surface of the dirt to cut off weeds
- A 3-tined cultivator…but I think I use it because I have it, not because it’s very necessary.
These sit patiently on the tool rack, wondering if I’ll ever use them again:
- Three-tined hand fork
- Garden Weasel
I’ve never bothered to buy:
- Specialized weeding tools
I also recently got a wheelbarrow, and wonder how I ever got along without it. YMMV.