I think 38 and rainy is much ickier than 28 and clear. So after a rather fun day of shopping in the ick, we really wanted to come home and nest. We threw this on and watched a movie, then finished making it and eating it after dark.
My beef stew is usually less…complicated? I certainly use fewer seasonings usually, but that may change after tonight’s version. Yum!
Smoky beef stew. Cooking time: 2-3 hours. Serves 3-4.
In a heavy pot, combine and brown:
- A splash of oil
- One onion, quartered
- One slice of beef shank (about a pound)
- Coarse salt and pepper
Deglaze the pan with:
- 1/2 bottle of beer
Add the following:
- A can of diced tomatoes, with juices
- A knob of ginger, peeled and cut in half
- 4-5 c. water (enough to cover everything about 3x the depth of the beef)
Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer, covered, for about 2.5 hours until the meat is very tender. The liquid will boil away and leave a very thick sauce – be sure it doesn’t burn.
When the meat is cooked, take it out, remove the bone and gristle, and shred the beef.
Add to the pot:
- the shredded beef
- 2-3 carrots, in large chunks
- 2 fist-sized potatoes, in large chunks
- 1/2 a rutabaga, in large chunks
- Opt: 1/4 c. black olives
- Water to cover – though not as much as the first time (you want the sauce to be fairly thick)
Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Just before serving, season to taste with:
- Smoked sea salt
- Smoked sweet paprika