Last night, I was in a cooking mood. After dinner, I roasted bones and made beef stock, and I made a fruit custard dessert inspired by seeing the beautiful peaches and blueberries from Locavorious in the freezer next to the stock fixins.
A couple times a year, I really crave custard. I wonder if they’re all this time of year? Winter’s been full of starch and beans…kind of low on richness still cold enough that stick-to-the-ribs sounds perfect. So I cruised the Joy of Cooking (mid 70s edition) until I came upon a dessert that combined custard and fruit. It was originally a fruit and sour cream custard pie, but I pulled it apart a bit and got yogurt-based custard with fruit. It was also astoundingly easy to make.
- Beat 3 eggs
- Add 3/4 c yogurt (plain)
- Add 1/2 c sugar (or less; this was pretty sweet)
That’s it for your custard. You can bake this in a water bath and just put the fruit on top, or:
- Make a crust of some sort. I used 1/4 c flour, 1/4c oatmeal, a pinch of baking powder, and enough oil and coconut shortening to hold it together. This was pressed into a baking dish about 10×6.
- Cover the crust with the fruit.
- Pour in the custard. I had a ramekin of custard left over.
- Bake at 325 for 40 minutes. I had to poke the top of mine because the top had cooked solid and the inside was still liquid, probably because I was baking it in the toaster oven and thus too close to the heating element.
It was amazingly good. Custards often taste “thin” to me, and with my dairy issues, I’ve tried using soy or rice milk. (Don’t ever bother with rice milk custard, trust me…). Yogurt’s much easier on my system, and I really like the tang it adds to the custard. At times, I’d swear a spoonful was lemon, vanilla, or maple-flavored, but I hadn’t put anything in but eggs, yogurt, and sugar.
And it’s funny: I hadn’t thought about this at all, but I had some serious dental work done this morning, and custard was the perfect food for me today! Sadly, it’s all gone now, and I will have to find something else to eat.
Or just make another one… *grin*