I have finally achieved edible frozen green beans from my garden!!! All previous attempts were leathery and dehydrated and went straight to the compost.
Here’s what I did:
- Grew Fortex beans. I also grew Jade II but I haven’t tried those yet.
- Rinsed and cut into bite-sized lengths. (Ok, tbh I don’t remember if I actually rinsed them…)
- Put them into vacuum bags RAW. No blanching!
- Sealed on the “low” vacuum setting.
- To cook: cover with water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, cook 3 minutes. Drain.
- Dress with olive oil, garlic powder, and popcorn-worthy levels of salt.
Might also work in regular frezzer bags – I think the keys are the raw pack and reheat method.
Eureka! Just extended our favorite garden veg into the winter!